Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wonderful News from Duke!

For the past two days Karen and I have being seeing our doctors at Duke Medical Center. We were particularly concerned about this visit because it would speak volumes about the status my brain cancer. The word is in: there are no active cancer cells in my brain! It's a true miracle! God has breathed His grace into our lives!
Please accept my deepest and most profound gratitude for your love and faith. You gave us your generous support and care. Your gifts of these things have led Karen and I to defeat a deadly and determined enemy.
Now We're not completely home free yet. The disease bears close watching and many of the therapies will continue. We face the future with humility and faith. God is great and makes all things possible.
I owe so much to each of you. The medical staff in Topeka and at Duke have done heroic things. Dr. V told us "miracles happen." How right he is! Thank you, Dr. Vredenburgh. God has given you special healing gifts. We are the benefactors of your science. Thanks also to Dr. David Einspahr (Topeka Cancer Center), our local oncologist. This gentle man has played a pivotal role in guiding my healing. Also playing key roles are Dr. Russ Greene (radiation oncology), Dr. Katy Peters (Duke Medical Fellow - we love you, Katy), and Dr. Michael Atwood (our family doctor through most of this).
I'd also be remiss if I didn't thank Dr. Matt Wills, our brilliant and gifted neurosurgeon. His strength and skill during a trying time initiated the healing process.
We haven't began to thank everyone who played a role in my recovery but I love you and all you do for me. Cancer changed some things in our lives but it never shook our faith in God's plan. With faith and your support, we have astonished everyone.
We rejoice in your love!
Your grateful friend,
John

3 comments:

Lil A said...

I can't tell you how long Dan and I have waited for this moment; somehow we knew deep down that it would come!
The Lord works miracles every day, and we have seen it happen! You are truly an example to us all--I hope Duke will tell tales of your survival story (front cover of their latest newsletter, much??!) and pass the word, that there is hope, and all things are possible through God--
"How Great Thou Art". . .
Truly we are blessed--

Matthew 9:27-29

"When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, "Son of David, have mercy on us!" And when He had come into the house, the blind men came to Him. And Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They said to Him, "Yes, Lord." Then He touched their eyes, saying, "According to your faith let it be to you."

Bob said...

John, the call yesterday was the best phone call I've ever recieved. I wish I had it on tape so everyone could hear the joy in your voice and the tears on my face. You and Karen climbed the highest mountian together and have reached the summit of a monumental miracle. From that dark week in Feb. in Topeka during that first & second surgery to today has been a bumpy ride graced with tears, prayers and the help of many people. God blessed you with friends I'm envious of still. Martha, Mary Anne and I could not have recieved a better gift than more years with you. You and I have been through a lot together in 50+ years, and you have, are and will continue to be my best friend. While the vigilance remains you've crossed a hugh divide. I am always there for you and Karen. I am so glad it will be for a long time. I love you brother.
Bob

Danielle said...

John - This is so amazing!!! I can't even imagine how you feel right now. We love you so much and are thrilled beyond belief!!

Baby Noah loved meeting you and Karen - he was so comfortable in your arms!

Lots of love,
Danielle