Monday, April 7, 2008

2nd Week of Radiation/Chemo

I begin my 2nd week of radiation and chemotherapy today. So far it's gone very well with minimal side effects.
Yesterday I had a visit from a young friend. He is John McKenzie, 22. He is beating testicular cancer. I believe the next stop on his cancer journey is to be declared cancer-free. Thank God!
John is the son of our neighbors and good friends, Scott and Susan McKenzie. Scott is the attorney who prepared the durable power of attorney, medical power of attorney, and living will for us. Scott and Susans' wonderful family have been important allies in my battle.
It was very great of John to come by. I know he's very busy in architectural engineering at K-State (beginning his senior year soon). Expect big things from this young man. Still, John let me monopolize his Sunday afternoon. I had a great time.
We share a love of cycling. He and friends bicycled from San Francisco to Santa Barbara over Spring Break on the Pacific Coast Highway (Cal 1). They camped out along the route. They passed through Monterey, Big Sur, Carmel, Morro Bay. Beautiful!
John has plans to cycle a much more epic route immediately after his graduation, into and through South America, before beginning his professional career.
John gave me specific and important information about his battle with cancer. He gave me advice on he coped with the health effects of treatment, how he dealt with the fluctuations of energy, and how he maintained his fitness. I didn't realize until I spoke to him just jow important this aspect is.
Thanks, John, for being a role model and example of how to handle cancer with aplomb and dignity. I like the idea of having someone your age (less than half of my own) I can look up to.
By the way, The Paris-Roubaix Classic is on April 20th. If you're not doing anything that afternoon come by and watch it at my place (on Versus). The "Queen of the Classics" is the best one-day bike race of the year, especially with the 38 (?) sections of cobblestones that they call "L'Enfer Du Nord" ("Hell of the North"). If it's dry, the riders all become covered with dust. If the weather is wet the going really gets treacherous. These cobblestones are absolutlely medieval. Very cool bike race! Maybe George Hincapie will finally get this long-sought title. I'd love to see that.

11 comments:

DanL said...

Teho de Rooh from The Quotable Cyclist by Bill Strickland: "Paris Roubaix is a pile of shit. You're up to your neck in mud and you're riding in mud and you don't have time to piss. It's a pile of shit. It's the most wonderful race in the world." Sounds . . . interesting, John.

Greg said...

Great quote, Dan! Here's what the great Eddie Merckx had to say:

"Cyclists live with pain, if you can't handle it you will win nothing. If you don't want to suffer, take up another sport. Winning big Tours and stage races is often about pain management....... I began to use it to my advantage. Being in pain from the start made me sharp and on edge and well motivated. I had no fear of what lay ahead. I was already suffering. ........The mind can overcome great setbacks and make a person very strong." ---Eddie Merckx

John, re: Paris Roubaix. Now, perhaps we know a little about why you are a runner and a cyclist and a true enthusiast of both. It has prepared you well.

I'm thinking about you today and praying for your continued strength.

Greg

DanL said...

By interesting, of course, I mean "extremely cool." ;) It's got to be something, at any rate, to inspire someone to curse and praise it in the same breath. Greg, your quote says it better.;) John, enjoy your race. I'm thinking of you -- I wish I was watching the game with you right now, but I've got this last run of finals to get ready for. Take care!

Greg said...

I was inspired by the blog today. Got my Colnago out of the garage and took to the road. Only ten miles, but it felt great! So thanks, John and Dan, for starting the process of getting me back in the saddle!

Lil A said...

John,
Somehow I knew it was about time for you to start thinking about cycling ;)-- now that the tourny is over-- (YEA, HAWKS!)
anyhow, I was proud to see you routing for the Jayhawks tonight, it must have been the fabulous tarheel pasta that got you in the spirit! ;)
Dan wants me to make some all important and inspirational comment about his clipless peddles-- so, WOW! Clipless peddles, don't leave home without them!
Keep up the posts-- Dan and I look forward to them.
I'm marking April 20th on my calendar!
Love You!
Little A

Danielle said...

John,
Hope you are still savoring the taste of the Tar Heel Blend coffee because we're coming back next year!!! Painful tourney for us here in Chapel Hill but we'll get past it.
Thinking of you every day and sending lots of healing thoughts your way. Glad to hear your 2nd week of treatment has had minimal side effects. Thanks so much for keeping us updated!
Love,
Danielle

Anonymous said...

John,'
I spoke with Randy this week. He sends his wishes for your recovery. I have enjoyed reading your blog and first hand accounts of your treatment. My first job in nursing was as oncology nurse in Norfolk VA. Knowledge, a good attitude, proper nutrition and keeping yourself fit goes a long way in the battle. You seem to be doing all of the above with gusto. Your team approach by utlizing expertise from many individuals is also a perfect way to become involved in your care.

My best to you,

Barbara

Anonymous said...

John, I was just thinking about you this morning and wanted to let you know how proud I am of you. I know George is proud of you, too. I am so glad that you are doing so well with minimal side affects. You are an inspiration to us all.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

John--

You must be doing well as we have tried a couple times to track you down and you weren't home so either you are getting to know the doctors a bit better or you are out riding yourself :-) I will catch up with you one of these afternoons and spend some time visiting. It is at least nice to have the KU win over with-- that has to ease your pain as you don't have to continuously watch the enemy succeed!! Have a great end to the week, I'll catch you soon!

Brian

Erica said...

hey john (and karen...)

just wanted you know how much i appreciate this blog - it's tremendously comforting to know how things are going, what you're thinking about, how you're feeling, etc., and this way i don't have to call you all the time to keep up. i hope the blog is therapeutic for you as well. i think about you frequently, and am constantly sending good vibes your way. keep it up!

love,

erica

The Little Sister said...

Hi John - it's great to seeing you doing so well. We are praying for you, and think of you all the time. I'd love to take you around Folsom Lake on a bicycle. Katherine and I ride a tandem and Paul carries Alex, and poor little Andrew needs a new bike as he has already outgrown his current bike - in one year! And, if your lucky I'd take you by the prison!