Sunday, April 27, 2008

Danielle's 5K Report

We wanted to let you know that the 5K was a huge success!! Here's a quick rundown of the events: First and foremost, we all ran the ENTIRE thing with no walking!!!

Ellen, Seth's girlfriend, finished first amongst John's Team and even got a ribbon!! She is a runner by trade. She even came back and ran the last 1/2 mile with Seth and I again after she had already finished. Nathan was a speed daemon as well and finished an impressive 2nd on the team. Seth and I finished together although I have to say that we would have finished quicker had it not been for my um, eh, minor puke break about 200 yards from the end. Oops. Apparently speeding up during the last 1/2 mile just doesn't work for me! No worries though, I actually felt great afterwards and still finished with a bang. I was super thankful for my great team who stayed behind to give me some pats on the back.
After the 5K, my parents joined us for the Family Fun Walk which was a 1.8 mile walk through the beautiful Sarah P. Duke Gardens. We all had a wonderful time. They had a record attendance with over 3,000 people for the walk! It was inspiring to see all the teams and especially all of the survivors. And John, as the honoree, we got you a shirt like ours -- we're putting it in the mail!We won't have our team total for a few weeks so I don't know specifically who donated but we thank all of you who did from the very bottom of our hearts!! You helped make this a huge success! Thank you so very much!! John, you have so many people who are rooting for you and who love you!!!

6 comments:

John said...

Thanks for the post, Danielle! I am very proud of my team. What a handsome group.

Danielle said...

Thanks John!! It was a wonderful and inspiring time. We thought about you so much!

Love,
Danielle

Greg said...

Hey John!
Nice picture on your profile! You are majorly a blogger now!

Greg

DanL said...

Danielle,
Congratulations from Ashley and I on completing the 5K, and thanks for posting all the pictures. I personally think that the "puke break," rather than be lamented, is the hallmark of true, hardcore, genuine effort. Running 'til you puke is just one very short step below running 'til you drop. A sign of heart. So much heart that it doesn't leave any room for breakfast.;)

Take care,
Dan and Ashley

The Little Sister said...

HOORAY FOR JOHN's TEAM!

I love the pictures. I want to know if Danielle just wiped the "stuff" off her chin before running and posing for that pic of herself on the finish line. I, myself, would never workout so hard that I have to vomit, maybe that's why my OLDER sister weighs less than I do!

Super job to all of you! Make sure you post how much money the "team" raised. Thank you so much for representing our brother!

Where can I buy one of those cool shirts?

Danielle said...

Auntie Mary Anne- We got the cool t-shirts on-line. I'll email you the link.

And we still haven't gotten the team totals yet but we do know that the whole race raised over 1.1 million dollars - a record high!!

Love,
Danielle