Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cancer Treatment

My cancer treatment will be changing next week thanks to the brilliant people at Duke Medical Center. I won't be part of the vaccine study as we originally planned. My brain tumor is "multi-site" and this rules out my participation in the study.
Duke is offering an alternative, however. They are also doing studies with an anti-cancer drug that shows great promise for brain cancer although it has been used for other types of cancer. The drug is called Avastin (check me on spelling, Doc) and may be a wonder drug for my type of case. We are praying it's so.
It all gets a little complicated for me but the treatment involves replacement therapy. This means, as I understand it, that Duke will administer the treatment to me then be reimbursed or accept "replacement" of this type of medicine to fund to experiment.
Our doctors and other top-notch people believe this may just be the approach we're looking for. One thing I can say for sure is that these people are at the top of their profession, including the most amazing social worker I've ever met.
We'll try to do a little better about timely blogging. I am working on a couple of professional projects and I feel great as you can probably tell from my last couple of blogs.
More soon and I love you all.

No comments: