Saturday, June 7, 2008

Pulse Chemo to Begin

Happy Weekend everyone!
I begin my 2nd phase of treatment Monday when I begin pulse chemo. This will entail the 5 day stepped-up Temodar medicine with a 23 day recovery period. This will go on for months (maybe 6 months?)
Karen and I will meet with our brain surgeon, Dr. Matt Wills, on Tuesday, June 10. He has been so strong and confident. We put a lot of stock in his opinion. We are going to suggest whether referral to an experimental program (at say, Duke?) is a good idea. We want to explore the best options to whip this disease.
I have taken on a few professional projects of my own in the meantime to earn some income. I will meet with the Session of Westminster Presbyterian (here in Topeka) to set up an audit of their 2007 financial statements. This may be my future (as a self-employed CPA). I am excited about this.

5 comments:

Nate said...

Good luck with the chemo John!

But on the plus side, it gives you time at home to watch Euro 2008. : )

Phil said...

I'll be thinking of you as you tomorrow as you begin this next step in your treatment and praying with you that it provides the results you hope for.

Congrats on finding a way to pick up some income doing the freelancing job. I'm willing to bet that you'll enjoy that kind of gig and that once the word is out you will have more offers than you can handle. Hope so anyway.

All the best tomorrow and beyond.

Danielle said...

John- We're sending many good thoughts your way as you start your new treatment this week. You know you and Karen always have a place to stay here if you come out to Duke!

Love you,
Danielle

Martha said...

Hi John,

Just thought I would send some good vibes your way as well.

Hope you had a good visit with Ashley and Dan.

Much love,
Martha

Lil A said...

Hey!
It was great to see you yesterday! Thanks for earning your mocha by helping us clean the old place (just kidding ;))-- really, though, thanks for the help!
We will be thinking about you this week, and we'll be praying for smooth sailing through this next round of chemo. Once again, I will have to say, I hear chocolate helps! ;)

Love you, we're thinking about you!
Ashley and Dan